Everyone dreams of glowing skin!
For some, it is all about a uniform texture, blushed cheeks, and plump skin. For others, it means reducing flare-ups, keeping inflammation at bay, and achieving a bright, healthy look.
There’s no doubt that your goal is unique to you. But, no matter what that is, you need to know that lifestyle, environment, and skincare routine influence your skin’s health and appearance.
Kick back with a face massage
A facial massage is not only a great way to kick back! It can also be a great option to improve circulation and oxygenate skin layers. With the right movements, you can also alleviate sinus pressure, minimise inflammation, and reduce puffy eyes. After all, who wouldn’t want to get rid of that tired look?
Wash your face
You could argue that you have been washing your face for years – and you’ve been doing just fine! But hear this – over 80% of adults in the US wash their face in a way that is unsuitable or even harmful for their skin!
Some tips to keep in mind include:
- Use cold water to reduce puffiness and make your skin look more toned
- Hot water can weaken your skin barrier and increase the chances of inflammatory conditions and flare-ups
- Use gentle cleansers, cleansing oils and balms are your friends!
It’s all about getting your beauty sleep
Getting your beauty sleep is more than just a phrase! Your sleep routine can help you get your skin to glow throughout the day. Here are a few tips that can help you get started:
- Keep your pillowcase clean to avoid spreading bacteria, oil, and dirt
- Opt for silk pillowcases and sheets
- Try to get at least eight hours of sleep per night
Your skincare routine matters
We already know that the skin microbiome covers a vital role in promoting and maintaining skin health. And nothing affects your skin microbiome more than your lifestyle and the cosmetics you apply to your face!
Here are some rules to follow:
- Your routine should consist of a gentle cleanser, a hydrating toner, a serum targeting your skin concerns, a suitable moisturiser, and an SPF
- For a healthy glow add a Vitamin C based serum into your routine this winter
- Learn about what ingredients suit your skin
- Invest in a personalised skincare routine
Exercising, moving your body, and opting for a dynamic lifestyle can be beneficial for your skin. There are also some benefits that might not be immediately visible but are just as important including improving circulation and bringing fresh oxygen and moisture onto the skin layers.
In particular, disciplines such as yoga and cardio exercises can increase blood flow to your face and boost circulation.
Top tip: Practising downward dog for a few breath cycles is a quick fix for a healthy glow – and it gives you the immediate results you are looking for when getting ready for an outing with friends!
The long-term strategy: review your lifestyle
Above, we have seen some quick hacks to try today. But don’t forget that taking care of your skin is a lifelong commitment!
Lifestyle and environmental factors can significantly affect your skin’s look and health. Some of these factors include stress levels, diet, pollution, your community, and the use of alcohol, tobacco, and medication. Review your lifestyle to cut out those factors affecting your skin.